Obviously women are not fruit, but we use a few fruit terms to help describe a woman’s shape. Regardless of the name, these four categories are helpful for explaining how to choose the right dress silhouettes for body shape. To decide which one your shape falls into, measure your shoulders, waist and hips. Below is information for apple/inverted triangle, pear/triangle, hourglass/curvy and athletic/rectangle. Using our tips below, learn how to dress your body and find a dress that will complement your silhouette beautifully.
Apple / Inverted Triangle
An apple or inverted triangle shape means that you have broad shoulders, slim hips and usually shapely legs. The usual goal of those with an apple body shape is to balance out their visually shoulder-heavy top. Consider choosing a dress with a ball gown, mermaid or flute bottom to balance the top. A-line silhouettes, V-neck and sweetheart necklines look amazing on Apple frames. As for dresses, strapless, maxi and low-neckline dresses are great for Apple silhouettes.
- Sleeveless Floral A-Line Ball Gown with Bateau Neckline by Clarisse
- Sheer-Illusion Evening Gown with Flare by Andrea & Leo
- Off-the-Shoulder Ruched Evening Gown by Milano Formals
- Off-the-Shoulder Fine Beaded Evening Gown by Andrea & Leo
Pear / Triangle
Pear or triangle type body shapes have their widest part at their hips. People with this body type often work to balance the figure by wearing fit and flare or A-line dresses, anything which nips in at the waist and flares out over the hips. Pear shapes also look great in plunging V-necks, bell sleeves, cowl necks and scoop necks. These necklines help define your narrow shoulders and draw attention to your tiny waist. As for dresses, embellished necklines, open backs, big sleeves, belted styles are all great for showing off the slender part of your upper body. Any hemline that hits right below your knees will help to elongate your frame and make your silhouette appear slenderer.
- Sheer Celebration Sheath Gown by Tarik Ediz
- Tantalizing Sheath Gown with Deep-V Neckline by Faviana
- Vivacious Long-Sleeved Formal with Flute by Andrea and Leo
- Glittering Evening Gown by Clarisse
Hourglass / Curvy
Those with hourglass or curvy body shapes have curves wider than their waist above (shoulders) and below (hips). Most with an hourglass shape want to accentuate their curves in the best way possible, getting that smooth figure-8 silhouette. To do so, wrap dresses and bodycons work wonderfully. Other dresses that work well are fit and flare, which naturally plays to your best features. Fitted tops will highlight your small waist and curvier neckline. V-neck, round neck, boat neck and wrap tops are all great.
- Flirty Cross Ruched Gown by Faviana
- Intertwined Bodice Draped Off-Shoulder Mermaid Gown by Tarik Ediz
- One-Shoulder Long-Sleeve Mermaid Gown by Portia and Scarlett
- Stunning Sleeveless Short Formal with Distressed Finish by JVN
Athletic / Rectangle
An athletic or rectangle shaped body has a similar width throughout the body from shoulder to waist to hip. The main goal of athletic frames is usually to create curves, or at least the illusion of curves. On top, V-necks and off-the-shoulder necklines help create the illusion of curves, flattering your overall silhouette. Draw attention to your arms, shoulders and waist by wearing halter, racerback, scoop, round and strapless neckline styles. Jumpsuits with open shoulders look particularly amazing on athletic frames.
- Fitted Evening Gown with Spaghetti Straps and Cap Sleeves by Clarisse
- Elegant Off-the-Shoulder Evening Gown with Tony Tucks by Faviana
- Dazzling sequined cutout back prom dress by Jovani
- Wondrous One-Shoulder Gown with Overskirt by Andrea & Leo
Find Your Perfect Dress
NewYorkDress is the premiere online marketplace for high-end dresses from around the world. There’s no one else on the market that has the selection from such elite designers. We understand loving high fashion and high-end craftsmanship. That’s why the designers we work with and dresses we sell are all of the highest quality, with the finest attention to detail. We want to help more women find their perfect dress.
If you’re looking for a beautiful dress which you can wear to many different special occasions and look stunning at all of them, then check out our collections — they may be the perfect choice for you. Browse and see if your dream dress is waiting just a few clicks away. If you have any questions, our team would love to answer your questions or help you navigate the dress selection process.